Arts Manager, Dancer, Physiotherapist
Photo Credit: Rony Dutta
“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference.”
To live by these words all your life can only cultivate a curious, eccentric, eternal dreamer; a perpetual student of life…
Meet Masoom; a true team player currently employed with Nritarutya as an Arts Manager, he is not to be confused with your average Admin guy. Upon joining the company Masoom has proven himself an ardent worker through helping to manage and coordinate high profile, time restrained performances with clients such as The Ambanis and Amitabh Bachchan. A gifted linguist with formidable interpersonal skills, Masoom has an uncanny ability to track down and build amiable professional relationships with dancers and Art connoisseurs. This high level of operation can only ensure him a budding future in the dance management scene. Being Half Muslim – Half Zoroastrian by birth and brought up in an environment seeped in Arts, Masoom belongs to the rare breed of Muslim Indian Classical Dancers. Masoom has had brief training yet an impressive understanding of the Kathak style and is knowledgeable about various Indian folk dances. All this only arouses further inquisition and is aiding Masoom in his perception of the dance world.
Masoom, the journey so far
- Bharatanatyam under Smt. Neha Patel, Navsari and Guru Smt. Jayalakshmi Alva, Mangalore
- Abhinaya training under Smt. Bragha Bessell
- Part of theater for seven years and has acted in several Gujarati plays like “Ganesh Shivlal Hazeer Ho”, “Paapane Dhhankyo Suraj”, “Chhoomantar” to name a few, which have earned him accolades.
- Taught several hatha yoga classes in college
- Bachelor’s degree in Physiotherapy from Alva’s College of Physiotherapy
Projects of special note
- Performed and worked on the production for “Madhushala”, a choreography interpreting the namesake poetry by Harivanshrai Bachchan, as a part of 70th birthday of the legendary actor Amitabh Bachchan
- Managed the production for the contemporary musical “Shakuntala” staged at The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, Mumbai.
- Worked on the production of the musical “Madhur Milan” staged for the 80th birthday celebrations of Smt. Kokilaben Ambani at her residence “Sea Wind”
- Worked on the production of Prayog 4
- Worked on the production of Nritarutya’s performance for The Dewarists Season 3 Finale Episode
- Worked on teh production of Nritarutya’s festival “Adhyaya” featuring UK based dnacer Aakash Odedra
- Prevalence of Work related Musculoskeletal disorders among Bharatanatyam and Odissi Dancers – A Pilot Study – December 2011 to June 2012, Alva’s College of Physiotherapy
A pilot survey on prevalence of work related health issues among dancers. A first of its kind study in India and only second in the world to the one done among the ballet dancers of Norway